Halo 3 Service Record

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Maui Day 2 Snorkeling




""Because of issues explained in the Maui Day 1 blog I have posted two today. Go down a little bit and read Maui Day 1 first."" This is the day Erin had been looking forward to the most. Snorkeling and Snuba diving. We had to check in at the boat at 7:30 and it was a half an hour drive to the dock so we got started early. We got on board a good sized double decker boat named the 'Pride of Maui' and they were serving breakfast. Fresh pineapple, muffins, strawberrys. The pineapple was amazing, I had a ton of it! It was then I realized I had forgotten the Dramamine I had bought for the boat. Dad gets so sea sick I figured I was apt to as well and wanted to be prepared. I have never been on a boat in the ocean, but we got started and the ride was fine. I stood on the bow over looking the water and felt nothing. I love boats and was exicted that I knew I could handle them. Sorry dad, looks like it's just you. Since our underwater camera went through the x-ray machine in Des Moines we bought one here. They are a digital camera that they burn to a CD for you before you leave. Our first stop was Molokini Crater, where there are fish everywhere. The water is so clear you can see everything. We snorkeled for 30 minutes when it was our time to snuba. Snuba is a form of diving where you have a regulator to breathe and weights that hold you down so you can go much lower than snorkeling. You are attached to an O2 tank that floats in a raft above you. It was a lot of fun. Erin had to get over her inital fear of drowning like she thought she would but she recovered quickly and like she thought, it was her favorite part so far. They then served lunch, burgers and hot dogs, while we headed to our second stop, Turtle Bay. We jumped right in and swam a good distance from the boat, sticking with a small group of people brave enough to venture out. There were lots of fish and coral but at first no turtles. It was then I spotted the reef shark. A decent size, maybe four feet. We all got some good pictures. After him we kept going when one of the guys yelled 'I've got a turtle over here!' sure enough he did. It was awesome I got a great picture of him. It was a while before we saw another one. One came so close I could have touched him, but you are not allowed to so I had to back off. On the way back they served beer and Mai Tai's. Beer on a boat, my kind of party! We are in the trade winds on the way back it was very bumpy and the upper deck got soaked with splashes, it was fun. Now it was almost 1:30 and we new we were near the local Wal-Mart so we headed there for more food we wouldn't need to keep cool. On the way back was lookout point, a great place to take pictures. The photo above is one from lookout point. Afterwards we went back to the hotel and got ready for the evening. We knew we wanted to head back to Whaler's Village and try the other restaurant there, Leilana's. Famous for the best Hula Pie in Maui. Erin had the house salad and I tried the fish and chips. It was wonderful. Not as good as Tiki's but the fact that you were closer to the beach was great. We spent some more time shopping and headed home. I sat outside for a couple of hours and enjoyed the scenery and one of the many cigars I had brought.


-- Post FromMy iPhone

No comments: